Reasons to Repair Asphalt. How Do You Know if You Should Repair, Resurface or Replace Your Parking Lot?
If your parking lot has cracks, pot holes, dips, water build up, sunk in catch basins, faded line markings, you definitely need asphalt repair. The big question is, do you simply have your parking lot repaired or do you replace the entire parking lot?
This depends on several factors such as the number of repairs needed, condition of foundation, size of parking lot, budget, timing, etc.
For Example: If your parking lot has a bad foundation, any asphalt repair will be short lived, and the money invested will go down the drain very quickly.
You need to know your options before making the decision to either repair or replace your parking lot. If you have more than 50% of the surface area require asphalt repairs, it might make more sense to replace your parking lot as you will definitely save in the long run.
Some things to consider when you’re deciding if your parking lot needs repairs or replacement:
- Cracks that resemble a web or an alligator’s skin.
- Buckling and warping due to steady or heavy traffic.
- Pooling water due to drainage issues
- Faded color due to age of pavement
- Cracks growing in length, width and depth
- Pot holes or sinkage due to eroding gravel base
- Stains and erosion due to automotive fluids
- Underground pipe cracks or slips which affects surface
- Edges not protected with concrete gutters or curbs are crumbling
Some reasons you might need to replace your parking lot:
- More than 50% of the asphalt pavement surface is damaged
- Structural damage has made the foundation unstable
- Cracks in the pavement are more than quarter inch wide and too deep
- Catch basins or underground pipes have slipped
If the foundation below your asphalt parking lot is not damaged in any way, you can get by with asphalt repairs that will save you money and extend the life of your pavement. Even if only some sections of your asphalt parking lot have the above occurrences, then you can get away with repairing those sections alone.
Reasons to Repair Asphalt
If your parking lot has too much damage to the foundation, you will need to have it completely replaced – or at least the affected areas. Now, if the surface alone has a lot of damage and the foundation is solid, then parking lot resurfacing is all you need.
It’s best to have your parking lot inspection by a professional asphalt contractor.
Get A FREE Inspection & Estimate
To see if Elite Asphalt is the right contractor for your project, contact us here, or call (817) 451-0011 for a no-obligation estimate and project assessment. Our customers appreciate that we keep our commitments, we are easy to work with and we are responsive to their needs.